Ferry Kherson - New Kakhovka, boat testing
For the transfer, I took three people to the team, because. on a new boat, it's better to have a bigger crew, you never know - when more free hands are good. In this case, this turned out to be almost the right decision, however, due to the problem with the gasoline engine and the lack of stoppers for the staysail sheets, two of them will probably never want to be with me) however, I, too, because. drink as much as they do - it's too much for me.
It all started well - the music was screaming at full volume (it's good when it's not for long, but it went on for another 2 days :)), we walked quite briskly under the gasoline engine, passing Kherson. Problems began when the traction on the gasoline engine fell.
The engine speed began to change spontaneously and the thrust dropped significantly (the speed against the current dropped to almost zero)
We decided to moor at a fishing pier in the Kherson region and see what can be done with the motor. I didn’t have the opportunity to bring the electric engine to mind - it was necessary to figure out how to set up the engine controller, but when music is yelling on the boat and alcohol is being jammed, this is a difficult task for me. Silence to me at least for an hour - then I would have done everything.
Repaired the shoulder strap of the mainsheet.
It turned out that the damper rubber on the screw had worn out (the motor is not new, I got it along with a rotten body that I rebuilt) and the torque from the motor shaft is poorly transmitted to the screw, the shaft scrolls relative to the screw. It would be possible to screw in something like a dowel, but for this you need to clamp the screw in a vise and drill a hole for the dowel. There were no tysochkov.
By the way, it’s very inconvenient that there was no ladder just to climb on board from the water (this had to be done later)
In general, it was not possible to fix the engine and we decided to go to Novaya Kakhovka under sail, since the wind was, though always in the nose - so the next day we made several hundred tacks and almost did not manage to reach the lock until evening.
The night was not cold, we got up at 7 am. Prepared to eat and went sailing.
We did not reach the gateway for 7 kilometers.
The next morning, a diesel-powered sailboat stretched us a little, sorry I didn’t see her name, because. I was engaged in paying for the gateway from the phone.
As a result, by 12 o'clock we sailed to the gates of the lock. Here, two of the team were going home and I got the opportunity to work on the electric motor, because. finally it was quiet and I could collect my thoughts. In a couple of hours I set everything up and started the engine for testing - it turned out that it pulls perfectly, everything works without problems.
We tied the boat to a tree on the shore without anchoring (well, it seems like it’s forbidden near the lock), but in vain - it turns out that water is dumped from the lock chamber through the lower sections and at the same time the flow of water ran the boat aground - we had to push it back.
We stay in place on the engine against the current from the lock, wait for the gates to open and give a green signal.
Вдвоем с Antonом мы прошли шлюз на верхний бьеф, а там нам в лицо дунуло 15 метров в секунду. На электродвижке пробрались до маленького яхт-клуба возле начала Крымского канала и причалили.
As a result, it was possible to row against such a wind at a speed of 3.5 knots, with an electric power of 2 kW. The boat was moving sideways to the wind at the same speed per 1 kW of power. At 2 kilowatts sideways to the wind, 5.5 knots were obtained. The electric motor is capable of operating at 3 kW for a long time, so there was still a good supply of power.
Electric motor with controller:
The idea of a belt drive proved to be twofold: on the one hand, it protects the motor if the screw hits a stone (because the belt simply spins on the pulley), on the other hand, the belt bent the shaft to us as a result due to constant lateral load.
Later, I decided to put the electric motor directly on the shaft, but this is already next year.
A drilling machine was found on the quay in Novaya Kakhovka and we repaired the gasoline engine.
I undertook the next haul of the sailboat on my own, more on that later.